EN 81-20 and EN 81-50
Main SODIMAS requirements and solutions
1a - Opening the car doors
Outside the locking area, the opening of the car doors is limited to 50 mm under an applied force of 1000 N.
Two solutions are offered depending on the type of door:
- ▸ Mechanical door locking.
- ▸ Opening limiter mechanism.
1b - Door detection
Two SODIMAS solutions are possible in the event of failure of the detection system (>50 mm):
- ▸ The door closing speed is reduced and an audible signal notifies users of a fault.
- ▸ Or the elevator is stopped.
1c - Fire resistance
The materials chosen for the car floor, walls, ceiling and aesthetics meet the following minimum requirements:
- ▸ Floor: Cfl s2 (French Classification M3))
- ▸ Wall: C s2 d1 (French Classification M2)
- ▸ Ceiling: C s2 d0 (French Classification M2)
1d - Strength of the walls
Under an applied force of 1000 N, all types of car walls shall withstand:
- ▸ Rigid pendulum (10 kg) with a drop height of 500 mm.
- ▸ Soft pendulum (45 kg) with a drop height of 700 mm.
1e - Strength of the doors
- ▸ The devices providing mechanical linkage between panels shall withstand to the force of 1000 N.
Under an applied force of 300 N all types of doors shall withstand:
- ▸ Without permanent deformation > 1 mm.
- ▸ Without elastic deformation > 15 mm.
Under an applied force of 1000 N, all types of doors shall withstand:
- ▸ Without permanent deformation > 10 mm.
In case of shock:
- ▸ A mechanical device prevents the door panels from disengaging from their guides.
1f - Light intensity in the car
The minimum light intensity is as follows:
- ▸ 100 lux in normal mode at 1 m above the floor.
- ▸ 5 lux in emergency mode for 1 hour at 1 m at the centre of the car and near the emergency push buttons.
1g - Evacuation of users
In cases where installation of a safety hatch on the roof of the car is required, its dimensions are as follows:
- ▸ Minimum clear opening 0.40 m x 050 m.
Under an applied force of 300 N the toe guard shall withstand:
- ▸ Without permanent deformation > 1 mm.
- ▸ Without elastic deformation > 35 mm.
1h - Self-checking of brakes
The QItouch performs the self-checking of the brakes:
- ▸ Each brake can be individually tested from the QItouch box on the landing.
- ▸ Certificates for SODIMAS equipment always includes self-checking of brakes.
1i - Certification of the machines
The upward overspeed protection system of the car can act on the same shaft as the traction pulley provided that the shaft is only supported statically on 2 points:
- ▸ All SODIMAS machines have an APAVE compliance certificate.
1j - Strength of the shaft walls
Under an applied force of 1000 N, the shaft walls shall withstand:
- ▸ Without permanent deformation > 1 mm
- ▸ Without elastic deformation > 15 mm
- ▸ Without permanent deformation in the case of laminated glass type walls.
Article: 126.96.36.199 - 188.8.131.52
2a - Safety refuge
The minimum possible safety refuge are as follows:
|Posture||Pictogram||Dimensions of the safety refuge : H x P x L|
|At the top of the shaft and in the pit|
|Standing||IMAGE||2,00 x 0,40 x 0,50|
|Couching||IMAGE||1,00 x 0,50 x 0,70|
|Additional authorised position in the pit|
|Laying||IMAGE||0,50 x 0,70 x 1,00|
2b - Height and strength of the balustrades
The height of the balustrades depends on the free space between the car and the shaft walls:
▸ If the free horizontal distance between the inner edge of the balustrade handrail and the shaft wall is:
> 0.30 m and < 0.50 m, the height of the balustrades is 0.70 m
> 0.50 m, the height of the balustrades is 1.10 m
The balustrades shall withstand an applied force of 1000 N without elastic deformation > 50 mm.
Article: 5.4.7 & 5.4.8
2c - Safety on the car roof
- ▸ An inspection control device can be operated from a safety refuge.
- ▸ The working surface is anti-slip.
- ▸ A protection of the safety chain by means of a residual current protected device is installed.
- ▸ The roof shall withstand an applied force of 2000 N over an area of 0.30 m by 0.30 m without any permanent deformation.
2d - Mechanical safety in the shaft
- ▸ The cable ends are secured by self tightening wedge type sockets, ferrule secured eyes or swage terminals. Article: 184.108.40.206.1
- ▸ Devices to prevent the cables from coming out of the pulley grooves are located in sufficient numbers depending on their configurations. Article: 5.5.7
- ▸ The car stops mechanically in the event of an uncontrolled or unexpected car movement resulting from maintenance or inspection. The safety-gear device is operated by a clamp that locks the cable of the speed governor. Normal operation can be resumed after operating the QItouch. Article: 220.127.116.11.4.1
SODIMAS patent n° 16 56571
Article: 18.104.22.168 - 22.214.171.124
2e - Electrical safety in the shaft
- ▸ Two means of a residual current protected device are installed in the shaft: Article: 126.96.36.199.3: - the safety chain - the car door operator(s)
▸ The QItouchensures that the car speed does not exceed 0.30 m/s in the inspection operation when it is located at least 2 m from the top and bottom of the shaft. Article: 188.8.131.52.2.1
▸ Lighting of 200 lux is provided for the QItouch controler. Article: 184.108.40.206.2
2f - Emergency lighting in the shaft
The emergency light intensity must be 5 lux for 1 hour. It must be located at 1 m from the centre of the car near the emergency button.
- ▸ Using the QItouchSODIMAS controls the emergency lighting throughout the shaft in the event of a power power failure.
2g - Pit bottom access
A patented portable inspection box accessible from the landing includes:
- ▸ A lighting control.
- ▸ An inspection control device that can be operated from around the safety refuge.
- ▸ A power socket.
Two types of ladder are provided to access the pit to a depth of less than 2.5 m:
- ▸ A fixed ladder as defined in Annex F.
- ▸ or a retractable ladder with a spring as defined in Annex F or equivalent.
The landing door unlocking system is accessible from the bottom of the pit or from the ladder. The counterweight screen shall withstand a force of 300 N without touching the counterweight.
2h - Safety component markings
SODIMAS fixes a plate on every safety component and safety circuit showing the following information:
- ▸ Name of the manufacturer
- ▸ Standard certificate number
- ▸ Type of component or device
2i - Information for technicians
The following is shown on the car roof:
- ▸ Maximum number of persons allowed to climb onto the roof.
- ▸ Authorised type of postures for presence in the safety refuge(s).
- ▸ For work in the shaft, safe maintenance instructions are displayed (for working on the brake, the belt tensioner, etc.).
2j - Use of service lifts
Instructions for use must be displayed on each landing:
- ▸ Rated load.
- ▸ Authorisation or prohibition for placing handling equipment in the car.
2k - Door shunt
A 4-way switch-type device with stable and independent switch positions carries out shunt operations in the control box:
- ▸ Landing door locks.
- ▸ Manual landing door contacts.
- ▸ Car door contacts and/or locks.
An audible signal and warning light under the car notifies technicians of any movement during an inspection or acts as a reminder. An electrical control system in the unlocking area can prevent normal operation of the lift when the door contacts are shunted.